Monday, September 26, 2011

Day 21: Pretty Pattern

My beautiful, slightly decrepit 100ish year old Kohler & Campbell piano (all the manufacturer can tell us from the serial number is that it was manufactured between 1905-1912, but not exactly how old :( ). I play almost every day, when I can. Nevan and I have started playing little duets together with his trumpet, which I find especially satisfying. It needs a lot of love and repair, but even though many keys are out of tune it still plays beautifully.

I am so thankful my mother forced me to suffer through 8+ years of piano lessons. Music is the gift that keeps giving.

5 comments:

Kate said...

If I have any regrets about my childhood it's that I never learned to play an instrument. I would love to learn the piano. Pete has this amazing ability to teach himself how to play an instrument. He started playing trumpet at Nevan's age and as an adult he taught himself guitar and piano. And he can sing. I'm totally jealous.

Your piano is just gorgeous. And those moments of you and Nevan playing music together...I bet those are very special.

jae said...

It's never too late. Even better is that you and Chloe can do it together, learn how to read music and play.

Kate said...

I would love that. Maybe when we finally settle we'll buy a piano. I hate the thought of moving one every 2 years.

leaner said...

I love this. I can read music from years of lessons, but I just have no passion for it. I wish I did.

jae said...

Kate: you could always just buy a keyboard or rent a piano. ;)